Friday, June 28, 2013

Mexican Slow Cooker Beef

Mexican Slow Cooker Beef
This Mexican style shredded beef is spicy and so deliciously tender!  It goes great in any type of Mexican dish you may want to serve up.....from tacos, to burritos, quesadillas and anything else you can imagine!  I got the inspiration for this dish at AllRecipes.com ........love that site.  I made a few additions in the form of, you guessed it, more heat and spice. 
 
This recipe is now my go-to dish for potlucks, football parties and get-togethers when I want something that will be easy to make ahead of time and it won't keep you in the kitchen while your guests are having fun without you. 



Ingredients
1 (4 pound) chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/4 cups diced green chile pepper
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, finely chopped- I also use the seeds to give it some extra kick
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
5 ounces (approx) hot pepper sauce- I use Cholula of course!
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Place the roast in a slow cooker and drizzle with just enough olive oil to coat the roast, rubbing the oil over the entire roast. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and garlic powder.


Sprinkle the spice mixture over both sides of the roast, rubbing the spices into the meat slightly.

 


Add the onions, green chilies and jalapeño pepper on too of the roast and around the sides. Add enough water to cover 1/3 of the roast.


Douse everything with the hot sauce, taking care to get some into the liquid as well as on top of the roast.









Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is totally tender and falls apart. Shred the meat and then add it back into the juices in the crockpot to simmer and keep warm until serving. I like to let the meat sit in the juices after shredding it, just keeping the crockpot on warm.



If using the meat for burritos, shred the meat and add it to a frying pan with 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Simmer until the sauce has thickened.
 
 If you don't want to go this extra step, I have also just scooped the meat out of the liquid and drained it a little against the side of the pot before adding it to my tacos, nachos, or burritos. It's just as tasty!  

2 comments:

  1. I saw this on Google+ and had to come over for a closer look! :) It sounds so good, and I love that I can make it in the slow cooker and not heat up the kitchen!

    Joy @ Yesterfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I do love that it doesn't heat up the kitchen. Let me know how you like it if you give it a try! :)

      Delete