Monday, February 4, 2013

Crockpot Beef Stew


Crockpot Beef Stew with Cornbread
It isn't the most elegant dish, but trust me..........this easy beef stew is a wonderful thing to come home to after work.  The aroma that fills the house is enough to warm you inside and out!  At our house, we like cornbread on the side and a large glass of cold milk to wash it down.  
Ingredients
2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 can (10.5 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1 can sliced carrots , drained or 3 large carrots sliced
1 rib celery, sliced
1 can corn, drained
1 tsp oregano
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can stewed diced tomatoes,  14.5 oz can
3/4 cup beef broth
Cracked pepper to taste

Mix liquid ingredients and seasonings together in crockpot. Add in vegetables and meat and stir to combine.  Make sure vegetables and meat are just covered by the liquid.
Cook on low for 10 hours.  It freezes well if you have too much leftover.....save the rest for a day when you don't feel like cooking!

I add even more cracked pepper on top after I serve up the stew into bowls.  Serve with hot rolls or cornbread and even a salad on the side if you are feeling like you need a few greens.

4 comments:

  1. My technique with slow cooker stews is to start them off the night before. Then I turn off the slow cooker before bed. Back on Low in the morning and dinner is easily ready.
    I like to do Stew with Dumplings eg my Cheesy Suet Dumplings recipe. Then crusty bread to mop up the juices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great...thanks for the tip! I have never had Suet Dumplings but I would love to try it.

      Delete