Monday, March 18, 2013

Shrimp Creole

Shrimp Creole

 Shrimp Creole was one of my favorite dishes growing up, but I never tried making it myself until now for some reason.  We used to get frozen shrimp creole that was premade from Farmer's Seafood Market in Shreveport.  For my first attempt, this was a tasty and easy recipe from a cookbook that I received for Christmas from my dad's wife.  The cookbook is called "Krewes in the Kitchen".  It's a collection of recipes from Mardi Gras Krew members in Northwest Louisiana.  I made a few revisions to the original recipe in the book......namely lots more Tabasco and 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire instead of only one.  Enjoy!



Ingredients

1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 tsp all purpose flour
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp Worcestershire cause
5-10 dashes of Tabasco sauce (5 for a little spice, 10 for more spicy like I like it)
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot cooked rice

Simmer the onion, celery, garlic and bell pepper in the butter in a large skillet for 10 minutes.  Do not let it brown. 

Stir in the flour, tomato sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce. 

Add the shrimp, salt and pepper.  Simmer slowly for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  Serve over rice with a side of garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment