Saturday, October 26, 2013

Beefy Mushroom Stroganoff




I love a good mushroom and beef stroganoff with some egg noodles and a crusty slice of garlic bread. 
After testing out a couple of recipes, I created this recipe of my own with some elements from each of the different recipes.  This recipe is my favorite, with the perfect balance of garlic, beef and fresh ground pepper in a creamy mushroom sauce.  It’s easy and you probably have the ingredients right in your pantry ……….try it for dinner tonight!

If you want to give a go at making egg noodles from scratch, I have provided the link to the Pioneer Woman’s website.  I used the recipe on Pioneer Woman to create my first from-scratch egg noodles.  They need a little tweaking, but overall, the noodles were really good for my first attempt! 
If you are not up for the challenge of homemade egg noodles, just grab a package from the store and boil ‘em up.  It’ll be delicious with the creamy mushroom sauce! 
Cheers!
Ingredients:
1 pound thin, boneless Ribeye steak
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
½ cup beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 cup milk
Fresh ground pepper and salt
dried Parsely flakes for garnish (optional)
1 (16 oz) package egg noodles

Preparation:
Prepare the Ribeye steak by thinly slicing it on a diagonal angle.  The slices should be about ½ inch in length for best results.  Heat the 2 tsp vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat and sauté the steak in the oil for about 3 minutes.  Before the steak is fully browned, add the 2 cloves minced garlic and a few grinds of black pepper and salt.  Also, add the sliced mushrooms at this time, turn down the heat a bit and sauté with the other ingredients until soft.  

Now to make the creamy stroganoff sauce!
Move the meat and mushroom mixture to a separate plate while you make the sauce in the same skillet.
To the skillet, add the butter and turn up the heat to medium high.  When the butter is melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk just until the flour is golden in color.  Whisk in the milk with the butter and flour, making sure there are no lumps.  Then, add in the cream of mushroom soup and Worchestershire sauce and whisk until blended.  If you find that the sauce is too thick at this point, simply whisk in a bit more milk until you achieve the desired consistency. 
Now, add the mushroom and meat mixture back into the sauce and stir well to combine.  Taste the sauce at this point and then add in more salt and pepper to your taste preference. 
Serve the sauce over cooked hot egg noodles** with a side of crusty garlic bread and enjoy! 
Cheers! 
**A side note about the egg noodles I used in this dish…. I made my first try at making egg noodles from scratch and they turned out pretty good, but I still found them a bit too thick.  I think I need to roll the noodle dough out thinner next time and maybe add a bit of water or something to thin them out.  Interestingly, my husband actually like the heavy, thicker egg noodles a lot!  J
I have provided the link to the recipe that I used for the egg noodles, courtesy of Pioneer Woman, (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/05/homemade-pasta/) but I need to do a couple more tries before I post the entire egg noodle shebang on my blog.  They do make a pretty picture if I do say so myself! 



No comments:

Post a Comment