Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas


One of my favorite Tex-Mex dishes has always been chicken enchiladas in a cheesy sour cream sauce.  This dish was readily available at the Tex-Mexican restaurants that I grew up with in Louisiana, but when I moved to the Denver area, where authentic Mexican food is king, it was almost impossible to find.  I have resorted to making this dish for myself and I have found the perfect alternative to the restaurant version…….this recipe is even better than the restaurant version, in my opinion!  Don’t be intimidated by the idea of making the sour cream sauce yourself instead of using canned cream of whatever……….it’s soooo easy and practically foolproof! 

This recipe was inspired by a recipe for white chicken enchiladas that I found on Plain Chicken – one of my favorite food blogs.  I made a few changes and added a few things to create this dish that I know you will love as much as I do!  I like to use corn tortillas for these enchiladas because corn tortillas are my favorite, but you can use flour tortillas if you like.  I recommend that you try the corn tortilla version at least once. 

This recipe is husband approved……..the only complaint he had was that he wished there was more of the sauce.  I think next time I will double up and make two batches of the sauce to pour over the enchiladas because we like them extra saucy!  The sauce is creamy and cheesy with a little kick of spice from the green chilies and a hint of garlic …….because garlic makes everything better!  Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and you can even sprinkle some chopped jalapenos on top for a little extra spice if you like.  This dish goes well with a side of black beans or some Spanish rice. 
Cheers!




Ingredients:
10-12 soft corn tortillas
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 clove garlic, minced
5-6 fresh roasted green chilies (or you can use one 4 oz can diced green chilies)
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves and sour cream for garnish
Pickled jalapeno slices for garnish (optional)

Preparation:
First, prepare the filling for the enchiladas by mixing the chicken together with 1 cup of the shredded cheese.  Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Place 1-2 tbsp of chicken and cheese mixture on each tortilla, roll up and place in the pan with the seam side down. 

Now to make the sauce!  In a small sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Whisk in the 3 tbsp flour and cook about 1 minute, then stir in the minced garlic at the end.  Slowly add in the broth and whisk until smooth.  Cook a few minutes more, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens.  Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the chilies and sour cream….blend until sour cream is combined into the sauce.


Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top.  Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes and then broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment