Monday, January 6, 2014

Healthy Slowcooker Vegetable Soup




This slowcooker vegetable soup is so hearty and delicious that you will forget you are eating healthy.  A bowl of this is a little slice of heaven on a cold winter’s day!

I like my meat, don’t get me wrong, but I am ready to get serious about eating healthy so I’m starting by eating more meatless meals and more vegetables every day.  That four letter word called a “diet” is not in my vocabulary.  I am eating delicious real food that is packed with natural flavor and nutrients…….not the processed crap.


I modified this recipe from a recipe I found on my favorite new healthy recipe website, Skinnyms.com.   Click here for a link to the original recipe, called Savory Superfood Soup.  I hope you try it and enjoy it!  Cheers!

Ingredients

2 cups sliced carrots
1 large russet potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it more spicy)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Kosher or sea salt to taste
2 cups vegetable juice (I used R.W. Knudsen, Organic Very Veggie Juice, no sugar added)
2 cups chicken broth

Preparation 
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, and cook on low 6-8 hours, or until veggies are tender.  Spoon into a bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. 

I cut up some additional cilantro and sprinkled it on top of mine because I just love cilantro!

No comments:

Post a Comment