Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fiesta Taco Casserole


I love anything resembling Mexican or Southwestern food……I could eat Mexican food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.   This easy recipe is what I make when I am craving tacos but don’t have the taco shells on hand.  The original recipe called for refried beans, but I am not a big fan so I used black beans.  I have to say that the result is a delicious taco casserole that is husband approved.   Since I work in an elementary school, I don’t have time to leave for lunch and this casserole is great reheated the next day with some tortilla chips on the side and a dollop of sour cream on top.


1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 (15 oz can) black beans, drained
2 cups mixed cheddar, jack shredded cheese, divided
1 cup salsa (I prefer spicy, so I mix in some Cholula hot sauce with the salsa)
2 green onions, chopped
1 small can sliced black olives
1 tomato, chopped
2 cups corn chips (coarsely crushed) – plain tortilla chips are good, but cheese flavored are excellent

Brown ground beef and drain.  Add taco seasoning according to package directions, with proper amount of water.  Place corn chips on bottom of an 8x8 dish.  In a small saucepan, heat black beans and salsa until hot.  Add 1 cup cheese and stir until combined.  More cheese can be added if you like because there is no such thing as too much cheese! 
Pour bean mixture over corn chips in dish.  Add beef to top of beans.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.  Sprinkle green onions, black olives and chopped tomato over cheese. 
Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven until the cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly (about 15 minutes). 
 

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!!! I'm going to try it tonight and let you know how my family liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete