Wednesday, January 30, 2013

White Chicken Chili


White Chicken Chili - and of course, I like it spicy!
I got this recipe from a magazine about 15 years ago when I was in college.  It is still written on a tattered piece of lined notebook paper that I keep in one of my cookbooks.  I don't remember the magazine but I do remember that the recipe was selected as a finalist in a recipe contest for chili.  This chili has been a staple around my house for years.  Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp cooking oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (4oz each) chopped green chilies – fresh roasted chilies are best
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp ground cloves
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
4 cups cubed, cooked chicken breast
3 cans (15.5 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups (8oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Sour cream and chopped jalapenos for garnish (optional)


In a 3 quart saucepan, sauté onions in oil until tender.  Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne and cloves.  Cook and stir 2-3 minutes more.   Add broth, chicken, and beans and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. 

Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.  Garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and chopped jalapenos, if desired.  I serve warm flour or corn tortillas on the side- a must for dipping into the white chili goodness!

Do you have a recipe staple like this one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment